Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 1.5 Hours Total Time: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes Yield: 4-6 Servings
1 whole chicken (2 1⁄2 – 3 1⁄2 lb)
1 large handful of mixed fresh herbs (ex. rosemary, sage, parsley)
preferably organic Sea salt (optional) and cracked black pepper
1-2 tablespoons oil
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Finely chop herbs and zest lemon and cut into wedges. Mix together with salt & pepper.
2. Brush a roasting rack with oil and place in a roasting pan. Lay chicken on roasting rack with the legs facing away from you. Separate the skin from the breast (opening of the neck) without breaking it. Push in herb mixture to coat each breast.
3. Rotate chicken to have the legs face you. Score the skin (but not the meat!) and separate the skin from the meat. Push herb mixture into the opening and rub on thigh meat.
4. Sprinkle remaining herb mixture over chicken and rub with oil. Pop lemon wedges into the cavity.
5. Roast chicken for about 1 1⁄4 to 1 1⁄2 hours. Chicken is done when juices run clear, or an internal temperature of 170F.
Per Serving: 241 calories, 15g fat, 1g carbs, 37.5g protein